Whenever you apply for visa or immigration in an English speaking country especially study visa, you are required to take an English assessment test, if English is not your first language. Thousands and thousands of students and professionals take these tests every year.
The two main English language tests around the world are IELTS (International English Language Teaching Service) and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Both these tests assess your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. If a student wants to go for higher education in English speaking countries, it is necessary for him/her to clear one of these tests with good scores. The basic components of these tests are same, but both are conducted in different ways.
The first thing you have to decide is that which test is required or more suitable for you. Some countries require IELTS, while other demand TOEFL. Your preparation time depend on how much English vocabulary you have. However, for preparing these tests, you should generally follow these steps:
– Buy a book for these tests. Just have a look and familiarize yourself with these exams. You should completely know the pattern of the exams.
– For Preparing for the Speaking section, you should have full knowledge of each type of question. The best way to prepare for this part is by recording your answers and checking the timings. Also avoiding stammering and grammatical mistakes is important.
– Listening section of IELTS and TOEFL is relatively easy, but it requires lot of notes to be prepared before. Practice as much as you can and listen again and again.
– Reading section is also considered easy. Practice is the key but don’t analyze too much. Simply focus on what is required and make it accurate.
– Writing section requires your great attention, because getting good score in this section is not easy. It is very important to know the marking scheme of the examiners. Practice a lot so that you may finish your essay on time.
It is suggested that you better prepare for these tests properly so that you don’t have to take them twice. Most universities demand high scores in these tests, irrespective of the your course or degree program. They have set a standard, which you have to follow. TOEFL is required in USA and Canada, and IELTS is required in European countries. These tests analyze the the overall skills of the student and his/her command over English language.
The easiest and simplest way to improve your English is by reading English books, magazines and newspapers. This enhances your vocabulary which is essential for the good preparation for IELTS and TOEFL tests.